Iowa Wild Rose Award, established in 2009, will honor an
author/illustrator of books for children/young adults. The first
award was given in 2010.
2010 - Award to Carol Gorman
Libraries, publishers, and readers of all types are eligible to nominate an author/illustrator.
The Iowa Wild Rose Award will recognize an author/illustrator of books for children/young adults whose body of work
represents a substantial and lasting contribution to literature for
children/young adults. The author's /illustrator's body of
work must demonstrate an excellence in literature and promote a love of
reading and literature. One to two touchstone titles will be
specifically cited as being especially significant in the recipient's
body of work.
Authors or illustrators who are natives of Iowa or long-time residents
(Iowans) are eligible for the award. Authors or illustrators who
are not Iowans may have their body of work considered if they have
authored or illustrated a significant title that has an Iowa setting or
whose book has a distinctive and prominent Iowa focus (events, people,
or history). The body of work must also meet the other
criteria for selection.
The award will be presented annually by a committee convened especially for the selection of the
award recipient. Sponsored initially by McBookwords, a literacy organization, the award will
recognize an outstanding contribution to children's/young adult's literature of Iowa.
This award has been established to encourage the reading, writing and
appreciation of books for children and young adults, and to foster pride in the state of Iowa.
Information about how to nominate an author/illustrator for this award.
Charter Organizing Committee:
Sharron McElmeel, LMS - Director of McBookwords (Chair)
Cheryl Kolar, LMS - Literacy advocate (Secretary)
Jean Schwegler, LMS - career library media specialist, Marion (Iowa) (School liaison)
Kim Klostermann - Reading Instructionist, Cedar Rapids Schools (Treasurer)
Mary Edwards - LMS - Davenport, Iowa
If you would like to be involved as a member of the advisory/selection committee please contact Sharron McElmeel at email@example.com
- Jacqueline Briggs Martin - lives in Mt. Vernon, Iowa
- Carol Gorman - lives in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Jeni Reeves - lives in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Dori Hillestad Butler - lives in Coralville, Iowa
- Craig Brown - born and raised in Iowa; currently lives in Colorado
- Michelle Edwards - lives in Iowa City, Iowa
- Fran Kennedy - lives in Dubuque, Iowa (search google for sites featuring her work).
- Sharelle Byars Moranville - lives in Des Moines area.
- Maribeth Boelts - lives in Cedar Falls-Waterloo area.
- Lori Erickson - lives in Johnson County (Iowa City area)
- Mary Ann Gensicke - lives in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Claudia McGehee - illustrator lives in Iowa City, Iowa
- Delia Ray - lives in Iowa City, Iowa area
- Tess Weaver - lives in the Iowa City, Iowa area.
- Jill Esbaum, Scott County, Iowa
- Information about Iowa -- Iowa Links
- Green Frog Gifts
A site that offers gifts with Iowa connections. Iowa shaped
cutting boards, cookie cutters, apple items (Did you know the red
delicious apple originated in Iowa?), a toddler travel pack featuring
pigs (Iowa is known for its production of pigs -- and this cuddly pig
package is too cute to miss.), beautiful baby gifts, kitchen items,
golf items (Iowa has the most golf courses per capita than any other
USA state.), children's books (An autographed copy of Barn Raising by Craig Brown is a special offering-- the story is set in Kalona Iowa's Amish community.), and other too good to miss gifts.